What Is Medicare Part A & B?

What Is Original Medicare?

Original Medicare (Part A & Part B) covers most medically necessary services, such as surgeries, doctor visits, x-rays, and disease screenings, in addition to supplies, like walkers, wheelchairs, oxygen equipment, and hospital beds.

What Does Medicare Part A Cover?

Part A provides coverage for several services, including hospital, nursing facility, home health, and hospice care.

While your Medicare Part A monthly premiums are waived if you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you must still pay any deductible and copays that accompany the services you utilize. You do not have to pay monthly premiums if you have received Social Security disability benefits for at least 24 months, or if you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).

Whether or not you pay a monthly premium, most services still have a deductible and require per diem copays. These extra expenses will be covered by additional enrollment in either Medicare Part C or a Medicare Supplement.

Contact the Social Security Department to learn exactly how much you will pay per month on Medicare Part A.

What Does Medicare Part B Cover?

Part B helps to cover many medically essential and preventive services, including mental health care, disease screenings, outpatient care, blood work, rehabilitation, clinical research studies, and durable medical equipment. In most cases, Part B covers 80% of the bill, while the patient pays the remaining 20% with no maximum out of pocket.

As of 2024, the monthly premium for Part B is $174.70, but if you have received Social Security benefits prior to 2024, you may pay less, and if you are in a higher income bracket, you may pay more. If you are a higher income beneficiary, you may have to pay an IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount) in addition to your monthly premium.  Learn more about Medicare for higher income beneficiaries.

Let's keep the conversation going. Call us now or schedule a call.

Scroll to Top